Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 10-10-2003, 12:53 AM

donfriel is on a distinguished road
that jeep

Hi wendy. Great stuff. Even though i was born in lae the year after the photo was taken I can sort of vouch for the jeep story. My old man used to tell the story that he was in it during the said incident. He was one of the better boozers around town. theres lots of those storys involving the police. One day maybe ill get around to telling them.
Keep up the good work
Old 16-10-2003, 11:34 AM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Hi Donfriel,

I don't know about that - your old man would have had to drink booze by the gallon to outdo some of the people I knew in Lae:-)

Did he just hang around with the Commonwealth Bank crowd, or was he one of them? I remember many a great party at the Commonwealth bank quarters in 2nd street: guys climbing frangipani trees to get me a flower to pin in my hair; kisses in the moonlight out in the courtyard - at least until I committed to my future husband, who was in Hagen at the time so we courted mainly through letters. Even so, I still went to the parties: the boys walked me home afterwards two at a time. In retrospect, I guess we girls in Lae were spoiled. Any pretty girl had dozens of guys clamouring for her attention, something I thought nothing of at the time, but I've come to realise, watching my own daughters grow up, that that level of attention probably wasn't the norm for most girls back in Australia.

Regards, Wendy
Old 28-10-2003, 06:05 AM

sharon is on a distinguished road
does any one remember this name?

james r fehrmann?he was there from 1957-1964 he also has a brother named john fehrmannn their parents were lutheran.if you know these names please e-mail me asap i need to talk to you.
sharon
Old 03-06-2005, 05:29 PM

Linda Seeto is on a distinguished road
Living in Lae Papua New Guinea

Hello Wendy,

My name is Linda Seeto (nee Dang) I have stumbled upon this website and am so glad that I did. I have enjoyed looking at all the photos - brings back so many memories. I was in Lae in the '50's until 1980 when I came "finish" with my husband and family. I too attended Lae Primary School in Coronation Street and remember Mrs Stevens with much fondness. My children also attended the same school when Tony Sadgrove was the Headmaster. I love the photo of the Merry Go Round. That has stood the test of time!! I don't know if we were in the same class or not but I do remember you now (after seeing your photo). I have a brother called Norman. My uncle was Kam Hong (opposite the Comm Bank) on the corner. and it is his daughter Mavis Wong who I see has posted messages on this site as well. I will pass on this site to all the other PNG's I know who often ask about the "good old days". Thank you again and hope to chat with you some more and any one else who would like to reminisce.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:33 AM

Hi Linda,

Your sister Genevieve was in my class; I remember her well. Glad you enjoyed the photos. I have a Coronation Primary site attached to my web site you might be interested in; am collecting reminiscences and photos from as many ex-Coronation (and other schools, but the main focus is on Coronation Primary at this Stage), and have more than 50 ex-students on my mailing list, which is growing all the time (Sandra Seeto is one of them, and has been a big help with names to go with the photos posted, etc. I was also in touch with Hilda, who, sadly, is no longer with us, and who told me that Genevieve is now living at Eight Mile Plains, which is just down the road from us).

A possible future reunion is in the pipeline if enough interest is sustained; I would love to hear from more Chinese ex-students and gather some of their reminiscences, along with some more names to go with the class photos I have collected to date, so please pass the word along. The address for the Coronation site is:
http://www.wendyclarke.com/Coronatio...ges/index.html
and my email address is wendyemc@optusnet.com.au if you want to get in touch with me directly.

Cheers,
Wendy
Old 24-06-2005, 07:00 PM

BahuMan is on a distinguished road
Nice pics. The old Lae club building is now occupied to the left by the Morobe Traffic registry and Lae District Treasury and District Admin office. It now has a fence around it too
Old 20-07-2005, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahuMan
Nice pics. The old Lae club building is now occupied to the left by the Morobe Traffic registry and Lae District Treasury and District Admin office. It now has a fence around it too
Thanks for the update, BahuMan. The district admin offices used to be across the road in my day, on the corner of 1st Street and Huon road; they had a mini zoo with cuscus, a tree kangaroo, baby pukpuks and birds of paradise, an endless source of fascination to us kids. Plus, the flag used to be raised and lowered every morning and afternoon by a squad of police boys accompanied by the sound of a bugle.

Cheers, Wendy
Old 23-07-2009, 12:55 PM

Lae-Markham reunion 2009 Brisbane 4 Oct - see sticky at http://www.pngbd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77 for full details.
contact Wendy Clarke (07)32991290 wendyemc@optusnet.com.au
Old 17-01-2012, 05:51 PM

MacDUBE is on a distinguished road
George Patterson

Lady, do you know a white gentle man by the name of George Patterson who used to worked for Commonwealth Works in Lae in the 1960s. Please if you do know him could you please advice me. I would like to know the where abouts of him, if he's still alife.
cheesr,

MacDUBE