Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 31-01-2008, 01:08 AM

Larian is on a distinguished road
Just reading all of this and thought I would add to it. I use to live in Oleander Ave and knew the Heaths well I use to call them Poppa and gonggong also went to school with Kevin he now lives outside hervey bay in Qld. Patricia Etchells ran into my son over in WA i think it was or maybe Melbourne can't remember but her mum worked with my mother at BP's. Sue Becker ended up living on the sunshine coast hinterland and had a excerise show on tv and classes in Maleny and montville she died a few years back now in Montiville. I laughed when I ran into her in Maleny even though she didn't know me I knew her and her excerises. Ahhh the memories
Old 18-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Vee Street is on a distinguished road
I lived in Vee Street in 1981 for a few years- had the headmaster from the primary school on one side and a hostel for volunteers on the other. A nice street near the Luthorin Church as described above.

Would you send a copy of the map to bbs_cat@msn.com

Thank you
Old 18-06-2008, 08:55 PM

Vee Street is on a distinguished road
I meant 7th Day Adventist church Vee St is between 18 and 30 on your map.
Old 20-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
Unhappy kevin botterill

Just thought i would let you know Wendy, kevin Botterill passed away sometime this year April i think it was. Something to do with his heart from what I can gather. Very sad i was hoping to meet up with him again
Old 21-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Hotel Cecil is on a distinguished road
Lae 71

Hello all. Just found your forum. My mum and dad used to manage the Hotel Cecil in Lae in I think, 1971. I was only 7 years old at the time and was known as lik lik master. I remember it was where I learnt to swim, what a fantastic pool. I also learned to play snooker there as well. I have lots and lots of photos of the place if anyone is interested. I also remember the fights in the beer garden on Saturdays. My mum and dad were Joyce and Bill Wallace if anyone remembers them. Mum is still with us but dad unfortunately passed away in 1987. My sister who would have been around 11 or 12 was there as well. Look forward to hearing from anyone. I did hear that the pool has since been filled in, is this right? Does anyone know of the hotel is even still there? and if there is a web site to check it out?

Cheers
Ian Wallace
Old 31-08-2008, 05:13 AM

Hawk is on a distinguished road
Hi Ian. I remember the Cecil very well. I was assistant manager/bar manager there from December '68 to February '70. Ted and Enid Beard ran the place while I was there. Your folks must have taken the place over when Ted and Enid left in early 1970. Sadly the old place is long gone. There is a sports stadium on the site now. Or at least there was in '96 when I last visited Lae.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel Cecil
Hello all. Just found your forum. My mum and dad used to manage the Hotel Cecil in Lae in I think, 1971. I was only 7 years old at the time and was known as lik lik master. I remember it was where I learnt to swim, what a fantastic pool. I also learned to play snooker there as well. I have lots and lots of photos of the place if anyone is interested. I also remember the fights in the beer garden on Saturdays. My mum and dad were Joyce and Bill Wallace if anyone remembers them. Mum is still with us but dad unfortunately passed away in 1987. My sister who would have been around 11 or 12 was there as well. Look forward to hearing from anyone. I did hear that the pool has since been filled in, is this right? Does anyone know of the hotel is even still there? and if there is a web site to check it out?

Cheers
Ian Wallace
Old 31-08-2008, 04:25 PM

vickus is on a distinguished road
I learnt to swim in The Cecil pool in 1970. There used to be an animal enclosure there too...I remember my parents finding an injured tree kangaroo and nursing it back to health and giving it to the "zoo" at the cecil. From memory someone broke in and took or killed the animals, not sure which...i was only 5!!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Very sad to hear that the old place has gone. I have many photos of the old buildings and pool, with me and my sister swimming in it. I can remember the frangepany ? trees in the beer garden and when I smell them today I am transported back to Lae and being the lik lik master hehe. If anyone would like to see the pics let me know and I will arrange a photobucket site with the pics on same . Cheers Ian.
t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Hi Ian. I remember the Cecil very well. I was assistant manager/bar manager there from December '68 to February '70. Ted and Enid Beard ran the place while I was there. Your folks must have taken the place over when Ted and Enid left in early 1970. Sadly the old place is long gone. There is a sports stadium on the site now. Or at least there was in '96 when I last visited Lae.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:21 AM

nette is on a distinguished road
The Frangipani Tree Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel Cecil
Very sad to hear that the old place has gone. I have many photos of the old buildings and pool, with me and my sister swimming in it. I can remember the frangepany ? trees in the beer garden and when I smell them today I am transported back to Lae and being the lik lik master hehe. If anyone would like to see the pics let me know and I will arrange a photobucket site with the pics on same . Cheers Ian.
t
I'm a bit sad in that department. Fangipanis are my obsession since we left Lae. I keep mine in pots and they move with me from house to house. My friends laugh, but they help keep my memories fresh.
They were even the flowers when I got married.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:00 AM

Hey Vickus,

I learnt to swim really well there in the pool. I don't remember the animal enclosure though, perhaps it was gone by the time we got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickus
I learnt to swim in The Cecil pool in 1970. There used to be an animal enclosure there too...I remember my parents finding an injured tree kangaroo and nursing it back to health and giving it to the "zoo" at the cecil. From memory someone broke in and took or killed the animals, not sure which...i was only 5!!