Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 30-09-2005, 01:00 AM

"xtc" is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyemc
I've been mucking around with the map from Scott's booklet trying to bring up the detail (how about making that thread a Sticky, moderators - it's a great source of information). Have pieced together a lot of the street names from my 1966 PNG phone book, Scott's booklet and clues from posts on these pages, but may have got some details wrong, and some are still missing. Keeoping in mind that this map is Lae as it was then, can anyone help me fill in the missing details - i.e. the street names at the top which are (almost) but not quite clear enough for me to be sure what they are, also the streets at the back of Lae airport and any others I've missed. Some street names I got from my phone book and haven't been able to place:

Vee Street
Drayton Street
Ferguson Street
Palm Street
Rifle Range Road
Emery road
18th Street
22nd Street
24th Street
(these last three may have been renamed with something more imaginative by the time of Scott's booklet, which was printed after the disappearance of the Tanyo Maru wreck.
Vee Streei is directly opposite the SDA church at 'Top Town' (next to the old red cross office behind the commonwealth war cemetery). It is actually 'V' shaped. One end opens directly toward the Nurses Quarters and the other toward the SDA church to be more precise. The houese at the bottom of the vee were bought off by someone who opened op the Lae Travellers Inn, a popular no alcohol low budget decent lodge acommodation and the Lae Ladies Inn.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:54 AM

Kelli Seeto is on a distinguished road
Lae Child

Hi there Heidi,

Yes, I do remember Trudy Chang - Tall, swimmer ? Not related though.
My grandparents (Gwen & David Dang) owned the Red Rose restaurant either before or after the Changs (I think before). They lived opposite the restaurant - I'll ask my grandmother. And my dad started Lae Biscuit Factory - what was your dad's name ? I'll have to ask him about it as I am sure he knows your dad. Anyway, he then sold it to buy the Melanesian Soap factory.
Yes the famous "ballet productions" by Mrs McIntyre!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:43 PM

kangarubicon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi Charlie,

I dated Mark Emery's brother, Michael, over the '64 school holidays when I was fifteen; I guess you could say he was my first true love, though I didn't have the nerve to tell him so. when we weren't together we spent so much time on the phone that my Dad, who worked for Post and Telephraphs, had to get the woman in the exchange to cut in on the line when he wanted to ring home :-).

Funny to read all this Mark and Michael are my fathers cousins. I was speaking to Michael last week unfortunaly his father had just passed away.
Old 26-11-2005, 10:18 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarubicon
Funny to read all this Mark and Michael are my fathers cousins. I was speaking to Michael last week unfortunaly his father had just passed away.
Hi Kangarubicon,

It really is a small world sometimes, isn't it? I don't know if Michael remembers Deirdre Whitton; their families were very close friends for many years, but lost touch after his mother died. She now lives on the Gold Coast at Reedy Creek, and is a member of this forum but has no current email address.

Cheers, Wendy
Old 26-11-2005, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtc
Vee Streei is directly opposite the SDA church at 'Top Town' (next to the old red cross office behind the commonwealth war cemetery). It is actually 'V' shaped. One end opens directly toward the Nurses Quarters and the other toward the SDA church to be more precise. The houese at the bottom of the vee were bought off by someone who opened op the Lae Travellers Inn, a popular no alcohol low budget decent lodge acommodation and the Lae Ladies Inn.
Thanks, xtc. I have my map sorted now, though. Anyone who wants a copy emailed to them, just ask.

Cheers, Wendy
Old 26-11-2005, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli Seeto
Hi there Heidi,

Yes, I do remember Trudy Chang - Tall, swimmer ? Not related though.
My grandparents (Gwen & David Dang) owned the Red Rose restaurant either before or after the Changs (I think before). They lived opposite the restaurant - I'll ask my grandmother. And my dad started Lae Biscuit Factory - what was your dad's name ? I'll have to ask him about it as I am sure he knows your dad. Anyway, he then sold it to buy the Melanesian Soap factory.
Yes the famous "ballet productions" by Mrs McIntyre!
Hi Kelli and Heidi,

Trudy is on my Lae Primary Schools mailing list and Coronation primary student list (see my Coronation Primary web site at http://www.wendyclarke.com/Coronatio...ges/index.html

Sounds like you guys belong on it too; please get in touch if you were at Coronation Primary any time before Independence (1975) and would like to be included. I also have a collection of Bulae and Lae High photos on the site, and some past students of both schools are also on my mailing list; no student list at this stage, though. My email is wendyemc@optusnet.com.au
and if you know anyone else who is missing from the list, please pass the message along.
Cheers,
Wendy
Old 26-11-2005, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarubicon
PS. Please pass on my condolences re the loss of Michael's father. I will always remember the time John Emery took me sailing on his catamaran; that experience engendered a love of both sailing and canoeing that I share with my husband, Bob, to this day.

Wendy
Old 14-12-2005, 12:36 AM

matt.emery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
PS. Have been talking online with Deirdre Inskter (formerly Whitton of Whitton's in 7th Street) this week; she knew the Emery family very well and was a friend of Mark's (or Marcus, as she called him), and Denis crowley. According to her, Eileen Emery did run the Salad Bowl, in which case it would have been she who refused to take payment for any fruit and vegetables Mum needed when Mum took in the Lumme kids while their mother, Hope, was in hospital.
I was only a little fella when we left New Guinea, but still a few distant memories and bits n pieces. Pretty sure my brother Tim went to Coronation at one stage. My father - Peter Emery grew the vege's for John and Eileen at the Salad Bowl.

Oh, and mum tells me that Emery Road is now Huon Road..

thanks to all for reminding me of bits of our past.

Matt Emery
Old 14-12-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.emery
I was only a little fella when we left New Guinea, but still a few distant memories and bits n pieces. Pretty sure my brother Tim went to Coronation at one stage. My father - Peter Emery grew the vege's for John and Eileen at the Salad Bowl.

Oh, and mum tells me that Emery Road is now Huon Road..

thanks to all for reminding me of bits of our past.

Matt Emery
Heard from your Mum yesterday, Matt, and she confirmed that Tim did indeed go to Coronation Primary in the mid-sixties. She said you were in Japan, if I remember rightly - her phone call took me by surprise. What are you doing there - working or just on holiday?

Cheers,
Wendy
Old 14-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Administrator

PNGJobs is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Sweet and Sour Chicken

Hi,

Must say that the Red Rose did the best sweet and sour chicken I have ever tasted anywhere in the world. It was crumbed breast cut into wide strips with best sause ever.

Maybe could post recipe here if you know it. Would really be appreciated by a lot of Ex Red Rosers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli Seeto
This is all too bizarre.....Through pure coincidence, I have met a few people through work the last 18 months who either lived & worked in PNG, or parents did. Which brings back my very fond (yet short) memories of growing up in Lae during the 70's (born 73) - left 1981.

From memory, we lived on 3rd Street and my grandparents owned the Red Rose Restaurant back then. Anyone remember the Lae Biscuit Factory or the Melanesian Soap Factory? Lae International Primary School ? Mrs McIntyre who taught me at school & ballet ?