Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 07-04-2003, 12:45 AM

PeterMc is on a distinguished road
Potential New Resident in LAE

G'Day,

I'm currently in the interview stages for a position based in Lae and I've got a couple of queries I hope a few people can help me with.

A few friends (and family members - most in Port Moresbry ) have worked in PNG over the last 15 years and they all have conflicting stories as to the "ease" of lifestyle for an Australian ex-pat. In the end they've left me with more question than answers !!!

So a few queries - With work providing your housing, is your apartment / unit somewhat componded ? How uneasy is the social unrest between communities ? Is the your nightlife fairly restrictive ?

I would be really thankful if someone who has lived and work in PNG for a while could get back to me.

Pete.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 07-04-2003, 08:30 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Hello Pete,

Lived in Lae for over 14 years but left in 1986 so don't know what it is like nowadays. However, in the past it was a great place to live until like anywhere in PNG the raskols decided to make it their home as well.

Hence, it doesnt matter where you live whether it be Port Moresby or Lae, who have to have your wits about you.

Accommodation is provided by companies and it all depends on where it is situated. In Lae I have heard nowadays that a lot of people tend to stay in unit style accommodation close to the Lae International Hotel but some live in stand alone houses etc.

If you are living in a stand alone house, they will have a security guard or guards on the premises usually some also live in the backyard with their wantoks in staff accommodation.

If you are into Golf or boating there are great avenues for you to get to know someone and they in turn will fill you in on what to do and what not to do in Lae these days.

Overall, keep your wits about you, dont turn into your driveway if you notice a car behind you, and dont get into bed with a Kerema or others that think they own you.

The saying here is...its VERY easy to get a girl.....but its DAMN hard to get rid of them as they think you are their property from day one. I guess the main thing is dont let them move in unless you are sure she is your dream girl !
Old 07-04-2003, 11:13 AM

noddy1 is on a distinguished road
i have lived i Lae for the past 5 years and basically is no too bad. Yes **** happens, but very little is random, alot has to do with the way you carry on. ie respect people, and you will get respect in return - but when need to to - you do need to act forcefully.

By the same token you should take precautions, ie the compound/ house should have the razor wire, alarms guard etc.. and you don't put yourself in situations that will get you into trouble.

the people aree freindly and the gamefishing / golf is not bad.

not a huge selection of Night clubs. one !
Old 10-06-2003, 08:56 PM

Jester is on a distinguished road
Probally i bit late to be responding but here goes.
I live in Lae and have been in PNG for 8 years.
Great people, good community, but you have to be careful and be prepared to live with lots of securtiy both at home work and all around you.

You make good friends and have fun
No cinema, macdonalds fast food no walks in the park either.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:12 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
My workmate went to Lae for the weekend and I got mixed reports.

She said the road from Nadzab to Lae is absolutely terrible and something should be done about it !

Her Partner and her hired a four wheel drive and decided to drive to Kainantu.....wrong move......road was so bad, they had to turn back !

She did however, say that the Melanesian Hotel where they stayed was quite nice and that it was still the sleepy town she remembered.

Unlike Port Moresby, apparently there was hardly any shops open over the weekend for them to spend their money on, so all in all they had a restful weekend lying around the hotel etc etc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coconut-500on-beach.jpg (25.1 KB, 306 views)