Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 16-03-2005, 09:51 PM

BZAV is on a distinguished road
Early years in Lae

Hi all, my name is Brian Zavattaro. I have just got onto this site, very interesting. Two sisters Karen and Chris. Born at Lae Hospital 1947, Lived at the Watut for my first 5 years. Family were gold miners. Moved to Lae in 1952 had to start school, but could'nt speak english.I remember a very nasty headmaster, one, Mr Breakspear, I think. A most painfull man to remember, if you know what I mean.I went down to school in Brisbane in 56 or 57.Left school in 62 and started apprenticeship with CDW 64 to 66.Left for good, came back to CDW as 5th year appretice and left again 69.Have heaps of great memories and some bad ones. If it was'nt for the political climate and lawlessness I would have moved back up there with my wife and children. Have caught up with quite a few old friends over the last few years. Les Jackson who has just had operation for cancer. Ian Hendrick just retired from the air wing of the army. Greg Schmidt just retired as pilot Sandra his sister who every male in Lae dreamed to have as his girlfried. The list goes on. I now live in Toowoomba QLD if anyone wants to get in touch with me. Kind Regards to all Brian.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 23-03-2005, 02:23 PM

donfriel is on a distinguished road
wally?

Gday there.Just a question. My old man used to talk about a Wally Zavattaro.I think.Any relation. Mums still with us but dads gone. We are talking 50s/60s here
Old 23-03-2005, 10:55 PM

Wally

Walter Zavattaro was my cousin. He took over the running of NGI after the death of his father, Ned who was killed in a logging accident.
I don't know if New Guinea Industries even exists as such anymore.
I saw some posts talking about the IPI building up town. NGI were the owners of the building and the coffee shop owner was Elsa, Walters wife. Paul was employed as the manger.
Regards Brian.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:01 PM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Brian, You won't remember me - I was born in Lae in 1953, so am a bit younger. But my Mum was a friend of Ian Hendricks' mum Joy. Among other things they had in common that they were widowed while living in Lae. As a kid I remember staying overnight at "Aunty Joy's", and I remember Ian staying overnight at our place.

I remember you and Ian racing at the annual swimming carnival in Lae one Christmas. You must have both been home from boarding school (did you go to Nudgee?), and I remember you deliberately dead-heating for first place.

Small memories, but I thought you might enjoy them.

Cheers,
Chris Byrne
Old 06-04-2005, 12:29 PM

Lesley Hawken is on a distinguished road
Hi Brian, I remember both you and Karen. My name is Lesley Hawken and I keep in regular touch with Margaret Munro and have just made contact with Graham Campbell (lives in Bris). It must be nostalgia time - as I have great memories of living in Lae and the swimming pool and Hotel Cecil. My mother's name is Freda and she was a friend of Ned's. She is still alive and living in Cairns. I'm sure Graham would like to catch up with you guys. If you would like I can give you his email. Cheers Lesley
Old 06-04-2005, 12:37 PM

Early days in Lae

Hi Brian, I remember both you and Karen. My name is Lesley Hawken and I keep in regular touch with Margaret Munro and have just made contact with Graham Campbell (lives in Bris). It must be nostalgia time - as I have great memories of living in Lae and the swimming pool and Hotel Cecil. My mother's name is Freda and she was a friend of Ned's. She is still alive and living in Cairns. I'm sure Graham would like to catch up with you guys. If you would like I can give you his email. Cheers Lesley
Old 07-04-2005, 03:46 PM

Hi Lesley, I do remember the name but a bit fuzzy on the face, comes with middle age I think. It's funny Ian Hendrick and myself were discussing the whereabouts of several Laeites and Grahams and Margarets names came up. Must be mental telephathy. Yes it would be great to hear from the old crew again, in fact Greg schmidt is talking about having a Lae and Markem valley reunion on a Sat. or Sun in a park somewhere close to
Brisbane and make it a family affair. I would like to hear from anyone who would be interested in such a gathering and some ideas on when and where.
I'll pass this email on to Karen and am sure she will remember you. She lives on Bribie Island with Mum.
Regards Brian
Old 08-04-2005, 12:42 PM

Hi again Brian

I have just directed Graham Campbell to this site so maybe you can all catch up at sometime. I live in Canberra and Margaret lives in Camden. I will try and dig out some old photos and post them on here (if I can get my head around the technology). There are airport farewells with Judy Marshall, Philippa Vinning etc., I am also in touch with Sue Potter who lives in Darwin - we should maybe try for a big reunion at some stage! Cheers for now Lesley
Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
ahhh phillipa vinning I remember that name did she have a sister..age has got me I cant remember her first name. I was in Lae in the 50's and 60's. I went to Lae Primary and Lae High schools.. If there is any reunions i would be interested
Old 09-04-2005, 08:35 AM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Vinnings

Philippa Vinnings' sister's name was Peta.