Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 12-02-2004, 05:55 PM

***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
A Valentine Story - Happy Valentine's Day

IF YOU’RE in love it could mean that you are a victim of that mischievous winged child Cupid who is always armed with his bow and arrows.

The arrows Cupid carry signifies desires and emotions of love and when aimed at gods and humans it causes them to fall deeply in love.

Cupid has always played a major role in the celebration of love and lovers such as Valentine’s Day.

In ancient Greece he was known as Eros, the young son of Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty. To the Romans he was Cupid and his mother was Venus.

But Cupid or no Cupid, lovers the world over including PNG will be celebrating Valentine’s Day in their own special way on Saturday (14/02/04).

In PNG Valentine’s Day is mostly observed by Westernised or educated people in urban areas who take romance seriously.

Since it is not part of PNG culture it is observed just like every other day, was the response from many who were interviewed through a questionnaire.

Most of those interviewed had a fair idea of what Valentine’s Day entailed – a day set aside for people to declare their love and appreciation for their other half or partners whether it be one’s wife, husband, girl friend or boyfriend.

But Valentine’s Day to an extent also includes showing your thanks and appreciation to family members as well as some indicated in their response.

Flowers, chocolates, cards, poems and maybe special meal or spending quality time together are ways in which people celebrate Valentine’s Day.

Whilst some do not want to celebrate Valentine’s Day because of a painful experience, there are some who would go out of their way to show that yes we care and we love you.

A friend said that he does not really celebrate Valentine’s Day and regards it as any other day.

Another friend said one could show their love everyday but on Valentine’s Day they join with others world wide and go that extra mile to express their love.

This friend gave an example saying that a man or a woman can get so caught up in their work that sometimes they don’t spend time with their loved one (the other half) and shower them with love.

Valentine’s Day gives them the opportunity to show their love if they don’t do it everyday and rekindle their relationship.

Some claim that through Valentine’s Day they found their true love.

A wise friend said Valentine’s Day is a day to promote the heart’s delicate function of love.

He said had it not being for a small organ called the heart there would be no love.

The heart although small is a powerful muscle that pumps blood to all parts of the body and is often associated with love as in the saying “I love you from the bottom of my heart.”

Sometimes when someone is out of love or two people break up they claim that their heart is broken.

The friend said the heart is special and people should not break it again and again.

He said for the work it does, the heart should be respected.

Although Valentine’s Day is not really observed by many in PNG, this country could do with more love for fellow Papua New Guineans if we are to be united. Thus, I leave you with this Valentine’s Day poem.

Valentine’s Day is a day of love
Where love is as bright as the sun
We share kisses, and even a hug
With people we call our loved ones
Unrequited love is oh so harsh
When the one you love doesn’t love you
You feel you’re left standing in the dark
Wishing this reality were untrue
Well that’s why Valentine’s Day is so great
It encourages you to show you care
It makes you just wanna say
I love you and will always be there
I once loved someone in this way
And I was encouraged on Valentine’s
I went up to him, just to say
I would like you to be mine

- Candice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10roses_.jpg (28.0 KB, 339 views)

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals