Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates > Schools in Rabaul

Schools in Rabaul Take your pick: Rabaul International School, Sacred Heart International School, Vunapope International, Kamarere, Court Street, did I miss something? Join in!

Old 16-03-2011, 11:30 AM

rfwillis is on a distinguished road
Hi Chris. I've responded via PM.
Old 16-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Chris W is on a distinguished road
Hi All.
I was also in Isobel Whites class with Rowan.
She was hard alright. I thought I had her sorted out by third class when I was in Dorrie Ross's class but ended up in boarding school in fourth class for my troubles. She worked out that I was passing or failing to dodge her. Her parting words to me at the gates of Trinity Grammar were. You can pass or fail to hearts content darling.

Cheers.

Chris White.

Last edited by Chris W; 16-02-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Wooly is on a distinguished road
Court Street Primary

I was there in 1961 to 1964 and unlucky for me my father was the headmaster (Allan Woolcock). So when you kids complain about Ms White and the ruler I used to get marched down to dad's office and given extra cuts because I should have set a better example to the rest of the kids being the headmaster's son. We used to live on 2/22nd Street and I used to love fishing off the old japanese cruiser wharf. It was an idylic time for kids then. I later came back as Senior District Clerk in 73 but went finish on Anzac Day 74 when the Australian Govt Winds of Change blew through the public service before Independance. As a child of permanent officers our contracts were not extended so it was time to leave. A very sad time as I loved living in PNG.
Old 24-10-2013, 09:50 AM

walter evans is on a distinguished road
Hi I also whent to court st in the early 60s my name is walter evans, I new the honeys, my father used to own the mv nukumanu and the mv kieta

Last edited by walter evans; 25-11-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:44 PM

juliearmis@hotm is on a distinguished road
Court Street Primary School

Hi,I'm new to this forum.I spent quite a lot of my growing up years in PNG.My parents were married in Rabaul and Graham Carson was their best man.
My father Bob Murray worked as a captain on cargo ships hence we did a lot of travelling around PNG.I went to Court Street School in the 60's.My name is Julie Murray and I had an older brother called Robert Murray and a younger one called Ross Murray.My older brother Robert used to hang out with the Honey boys.Not sure if anyone would remember us but we did stay in Rabaul for a while.Sometimes I would be in 6 or 7 schools in one year because of all the travelling and I absolutely loved it and am really grateful for the childhood we had and all the amazing experiences.Court street is one of the schools that I have the most memories of.
I have a couple of the Green and White magazines from Court Street.I remember some of the other kids names such as Annette Wild,Arthur Seeto,Steven Rampant,and a few others.I remember lots of kids from my older brothers class.
Would love to hear from anyone if they remember us.
Old 29-10-2015, 10:45 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
See this for a quick story about Graeme. Brian Darcey was the father of the girls at Court St.
http://www.pngaa.net/Library/Darcey2.htm

Graeme died in 2004 aged 80. Kids from his second marriage to a Polynesian woman still live in NIP. His father Lewis was shot by the Japanese in 1942. Lewis sent Isla and Graeme back to Sydney beforehand. Lewis had paid some 25k pounds in 1924 for a 99yr lease of the Nuguria plantation. It had been started by Queen Emma in the 1880s. Graeme's marriage to a PNG national in 1969 allowed him to stay, but the PNG government gave him a hard time.
Old 15-06-2016, 03:20 PM

Sherry '73 is on a distinguished road
Court Street photos

Hi Rowan. I took the liberty of screenshooting a few photos from your green and white brochure as they serve to remind me of different ones I eventually went to school with. I did grade 2 at Court St in 1970 and then went across to Kamarere Street until nearly the end of grade 5 when we had to return to Australia because of self government. I'd love to find out what happened to Connie Ng and the Foung cousins.
Old 16-06-2016, 11:08 PM

I'm sure you can just extract the photos with any PDF editor.

Connie Ng came from Kamarere St to Court St at the start of '69, to teach Gr3. Kamarere St was an A school although I understand most of the lessons were in Cantonese. In the 5/60s a lot of students were from Lae and Madang Chinese families and boarded with relatives in Rabaul. The combining was complete by 1970. Connie may have wound up in Aus. If not on FB, try some of the school reunion sites.

Graham Lee would have been in your class in '70. He wound up as pilot in the Qld Police, but have not had any contact with the family for 30yrs.
Old 17-06-2016, 12:23 AM

Sherry '73 is on a distinguished road
Thanks rowanh. The Connie Ng I am interested in was pupil in the same grade as me. She had been in an accident in '68 o '69 and as a consequence had a wooden leg and a walking stick.
Old 17-06-2016, 09:54 AM

Must have been '69. They are likely to be related. The German New Guinea Co brought some 100 Chinese carpenters and their families to Rabaul circa 1905, and some Ambonese from Dutch NG. The Chinese of colonial times were all descended from these workers.

The original town school was the Yin Chang run by Chinese Catholic missionaries from Hong Kong. It was in the middle of China Town, about where Kamarere St used to be. It was the only school and Oz kids learnt to speak Cantonese there, prior to WW2. In 1947 the war crimes trials buildings were turned into the Chinese Administration School, as most kids were from the Chinese evacuees repatriated from Cairns. Court St. opened in 1958. I believe the concrete platform in the middle of Court St school was for the scaffolds.