Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates

School Mates Catch up with your school mates from PNG. TISOL, POMIS, RIS, POM Grammar, Bulae, and a lot more!

Old 22-07-2003, 02:56 AM

bahbah is on a distinguished road
Crystal Rapids

Still crystal clear. Costs K5 at the turn-off for a car to drive into the picnic area for a BBQ, swim or whatever takes your fancy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sogeri 046.jpg (148.9 KB, 318 views)
Old 22-07-2003, 03:01 AM

Rouna Falls

Lookout at the top of the Sogeri snake road, with the Rouna Falls off to the right shoulder of the pretty lass..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sogeri 029.jpg (149.3 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by bahbah; 22-07-2003 at 03:05 AM.
Old 22-07-2003, 11:18 PM

Rubstar is on a distinguished road
I dig the photos. Brings back many memories. I never went to school there, but I had a parent who worked at Sogeri N.H.S and my other parent worked at Iarowari H.S "United We Stand". It was the best place to live, (I love that place) while I was growing up.

-Milne Bay meri
Old 25-07-2003, 02:24 PM

Jaybee is on a distinguished road
Re: Aiyura National High School

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilian
Please give me a contact telephone number and name for the Head, Deputy and any teachers still there from the 80s (81-86) when I was teaching there.
Many thanks. Lilian
Umm...Lilian, I'm not sure if some of these teachers are from the time you specified (81-86) ...but I'll just mention some of the names of teachers that were there during my time....There's Mrs. Dingu-I hear she's still there, Sister Katu from the Clinic (still there), Mister & Mrs Chuma left and are teaching somewhere here in the capital, the last I heard Mr Maka was the Head at the end of 93 and Mrs Dingu was the Deputy...here's the phone number to Aiyura National High School- (675) 737 3522

Goodluck..

Ex-Aiyura
(Tairox) Windy Valley
Old 17-10-2003, 02:36 PM

Sogeri News!

Newsletter May 2003

Dear Sogeri Friends,

Greetings to everyone. It is now more than 6 months since that memorable weekend at Canberra, September 27-29, 2002, for the fourth Sogeri Reunion and the Launch of Lance Taylor’s History of the School.

A big Thank You to the Hon. Renagi Lohia and the staff at the PNG High Commission for all the help they gave to make it possible to have the Book Launch in the Haus Tambaran.

Thanks to all of you who have sent in messages to say how well you enjoyed the weekend and the feedback on Lance’s book has also been encouraging for Lance and also the team who worked on getting it out and the long process of marketing the book. We are close to getting an affordable outlet arranged for purchases to be made by the thousands of Ex Students in Papua New Guinea. Some books are already available in PNG and we look forward to a suitable marketing program.

THE NEXT SOGERI REUNION
The 60th Anniversary of the commencement of the Sogeri School will be June 4 2004.
The plan is to meet the last weekend in July 2004 somewhere just south of Brisbane. A group of people are looking for a suitable venue and a further newsletter later in the year should have the details. We understand that some UK people are planning to join with us for Sogeri’s 60th year and as most of them are still in the work force, July is their long holiday time.

NEWS FROM SOGERI
It was a delight to meet the then Principal of Sogeri, Ms Lillian Ahai, at the Reunion in Canberra. Lillian gave an informative talk about how the school is striving hard to keep up the excellent traditions of the past but the structure within the Education System has changed somewhat the present status of the school. Sogeri now caters for mainly Central Province students with a mixture from other provinces where the family is Port Moresby based. Lillian thanked everyone present for their part in building the name of Sogeri in the past and for their present continued interest.

LIBRARY
Lillian Ahai told us of the new School Library that has been built and it was decided to start a Library Fund to help the school purchase new books. If you were not at the Reunion and would like to have a chance to donate to the Sogeri School Library Fund please make use of the form found here. [http://tufi.alphalink.com.au/sogeri/libraryfund.htm]

PERSONAL NEWS
Apart from Sir Paulias Matane, the Reunion attendees who had been at Sogeri at the earliest time were the Blackburns who were at Sogeri in the early 1950’s. As this newsletter goes to post Keith and Ruth Blackburn will be celebrating their Golden Wedding. We congratulate them and wish them many happy years together.

PNG FORUM - Organised by Australian Volunteers International and our ABC's Radio Australia
At very short notice the two above organisations managed to get 130 passionate PNG Nationals and ex PNG Expatriate workers to the Southbank studios of the ABC on Wednesday April 2, to hear the Hon. Lady Carol Kidu speak on some of the present day issues in PNG. Questions were put to a panel which included Anna Solomon (Sogeri 72-73) and Tapora Isorua (Sogeri 83-84). Lady Carol was on her way from a Conference in Canberra to Malaysia and it was possible to divert to Melbourne for a few days. The attendees were from all walks of life and times in PNG.

Update on sales of “SOGERI: THE SCHOOL THAT HELPED TO SHAPE A NATION”
The sales are going well. We have moved about one third and with availability in PNG outlets we hope to move the rest soon. If you have not yet ordered your copy, please use the Forms later on this page. If you already have a copy, print out the form and pass it on to someone else. We appreciate the efforts of those of our number who have passed photocopies of order Forms and news of the book to others who have then sent in their order.

We hope this finds you well and we look forward to hearing from you and any suggestions or news items will be appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Christopher Martin - 11 Wallen Street, East Brighton, Victoria 3187 03 9592 1488
Marjorie Walker - 31 Josephine Avenue, Mount Waverley, Victoria 3149 03 9803 9071

Last edited by bahbah; 17-10-2003 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 PM

mavarik74:k-ave is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi there,

I've recently joined the Sogeri club. I would be most gracious if Lillian Ahai, current principal of SOGS could contact my wife and I somehow. We would like to know how SOGS is and how they are all getting along.

Many thanks.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:54 PM

mavarik74:k-ave is on a distinguished road
The pictures are great. Brings back a lot of memories. Are there ex students from the class of 73-74 who are registered on this site? I would like to hear from some of you mob.

I graduated from SOGs in 74 and went to UPNG before joining UPNG in 1982, after KNHS.

Memories never fade.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:14 PM

Longhairedlaura is on a distinguished road
Laura Service 1980-85

Hi
I was wondering if anyone remembered me and my sister. We lived at Sogeri with my Dad and Mum, Ian and Yvonne service, 1980-1985. We were both young girls with long straight hair. I remember running wild around the school and that many of the student were very kind and friendly to us both. I especially remember two babysitters called John and Samson. I would love to know how you are doing?

Laura Service
Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM

RustBucket is on a distinguished road
Smile Thanks for the Photos

Hi there. I really enjoyed seeing those photos. Thankyou so much. Wow, it is still a beautiful place. I remember as a young child running around the school grounds and various surrounding areas and even swimming in the river with friends. I also have some fond memories of Crystal Rapids. They were trully enjoyable days of my life. I remember the school grounds etc being so well groomed and ohhh the green grass is by biggest memory of Sogeri. Its good to see that the grass is still the same. My father was a teacher at the High School around 1975/76 (Ruzicka). It was a really lovely place to live. Im now living in Australia with 2 young children of my own and hope that they enjoy similar wonderful experiences that I had as a child in Sogeri.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 PM

nurney_2000 is on a distinguished road
Dieter

i taught in sogeri in 1975/76 and worked with Dieter Ruzicka... are you the girl with the long blonde hair ???
i have many photographs and will upload some shortly..
What is the latest news on Dieter and if possible give him my regards//
paud O'Connor