Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Health Issues

Old 05-01-2004, 02:56 PM

***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Volunteerism - “Be there when the need is there”

THERE are some interesting people Papua New Guinea who have interesting ways of spending their time.

Jackson Kui, a good friend of mine is one of these people. He is the member of the recently formed Goroka Rotary Club.
It has become his normal business every Sunday afternoons to visit the sick at the Goroka Base hospital. He once told me that during his visits he brings laughter, joy and life to the patients. At Christmas Jackson and fellow Rotarians were busy sharing gifts with patients at the labour-ward as well as comforting the grieving families of those whose relatives passed away while staying at the hospital.

I have read similar kindness about a girl in India who distributes food among the needy and visits lonely hospital patients
This approach to life – ‘Be there when the need is there’ is shared by many millions of people around the world. They offer a helping hand in construction sites, in gardens, nursing homes, refugee camps, factories, offices, and more. They are virtually everywhere.

They are called volunteers – people who make a difference in the lives of those in need.
Volunteer work has been described as a noble thought turned into action. It involves such elements as commitment to a cause, a spirit of sacrifice, an absence of renumeration and a display of altruism.
There are many volunteer organizations in PNG that are doing their best to assist the unfortunate in the community. Some of these include the City Mission, Salvation Army, Caritas PNG, St Vincent De Paul Society to name a few.

It was would interesting in our community in PNG if there are more volunteers working for such organizations mentioned. I am sure a lot can be achieved through their efforts.

However, one thing which is making many of our people, especially the youths become lazy is the government sponsored “free-hand out” mentality and expecting payment upon completion of a little job is becoming a norm in this country..

I am sure there are volunteer organizations such as the Rotarians, Lions and Lioness, Red Crosss and many more who have been doing very well, however, their efforts go unnoticed. They can paint a better picture to the lazy ones who also dwell among them in the community
And one area which volunteers can be able to bring out their good works is through promotions. More exhibitions need to be arranged to inform the public about the benefits that the community is reaping from volunteer work.

Secondly, the government should recognize the importance of volunteers by studying and recording their achievements and bestowing awards on outstanding volunteer actions. Additionally, more net-working should be encouraged such as media publishing success stories of volunteer work. As a result such projects could be replicated.
I am sure the spirit of volunteerism can survive and make a big difference in PNG and today’s selfish world.

Ends…./

A Koala bear present for the sick child at Goroka base hospital
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a present for sick child at goroka base hospital.jpg (33.7 KB, 116 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals