Papua New Guinea Forum

Papua New Guinea Forum (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel & Tourism Discussion (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   about kikori (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7517)

dansil_94 19-07-2003 02:52 PM

about kikori

hello there!

did anybody here had gone to the gulf province, kikori in particular. can you pls tell me if there are communication facilities in there like telephones and internet.Also if there are groceries to buy our needs and department stores. what will be the means of transport goinh to port moresby. Is there a night life in kikori?

thanks a lot!

aussie 23-07-2003 09:25 PM

To the best of my knowledge there is a daily air service with Airlines of Papua New Guinea,.

A basic trade store, plenty of mosquitos but I dont think much else.

I suggest you send a private message to : juanii

a registered member on our website as she has lived up that way and could fill you in.

There are phones at Kikori but not many subscribers. The general store has a phone 5485029

No public internet service.

fred gibson 27-07-2007 06:42 PM

Hi Dansil 94, I hope it wasn't 1994 when you posted your questions. I lived at Kikori for two years,1982-84. All transportation is air or water. My time there there were no roads to speak of . The Kikori Trade Store has lodging but I do not know the rates. Communication was by single-side band radio. No telephone. Take rain gear,flashlights, repelent. Do not turn a light on in the room you sleep. If you turn the light on after dark the rainflies will come in by
the gazillion,even with screens.The late John Senior owned the trade store.
I was fortunate to have met him. If his family still has the store please tell them Fred Gibson said Hi and that I have not nor will ever forget them or their hospitality. Anyway I was a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer who managed a fishery substation,the main fishery was at Baimuru. I worked with over twenty villages
that had active fishermen. I didn't teach them a single thing about fishing, they
caught Barramundi, I had to show and tell them everything about ice.
If you are there for a few days ask if someone can get you some fresh water prawns. Have you ever seen a footlong shrimp? Mud crabs are good too!! Just a heck of a lot more effort.

fred gibson 24-08-2008 07:33 PM

Nite life

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dansil_94
hello there!

did anybody here had gone to the gulf province, kikori in particular. can you pls tell me if there are communication facilities in there like telephones and internet.Also if there are groceries to buy our needs and department stores. what will be the means of transport goinh to port moresby. Is there a night life in kikori?

thanks a lot!

Yes, I lived in Kikori from 82-84 Lets see?
Yes, there is a lot of night life. If you are lucky you might be able to pick up a radio staion out of Cairns. the power goes off at eleven so bring a lantern. After the power goes off,if you have banana trees in your yard,I did, you can hear the fruit Bats land on the pods for a snack. One time,for about a week, fire flies used my living room for a breeding ground. The power would go off at eleven and by one my living room ceiling would have thousands of lights blinking . Two days after a good rainfall in the dry season,it rains twenty feet a year,if you leave ANY light on after dark you will get at least a Gazillion Rain Flies in your room. This is Kikori night life at its best.

iraqbabbler 29-08-2008 01:48 AM

Accommodation

Hello folks :)
I'm interested in going to Kikori to do some birdwatching and was wondering if anyone has contact info for any lodges there ? ..

Thanks in advance ;-)

fred gibson 29-08-2008 11:44 AM

iraqbabbler ornithological pursuit

Hey! If you get to Kikori ask where I dwelled and about a hundred yards
west,in a tall stand of euc lives an entire extended family of Sulfur Crested
Cockatoo, about twenty five when I was there. You will not see them until 5:30 or so until dark,6:00. The Gulf Province flag displays two puk-puks and a bird. The bird is a wild pigeon and mostly white.You would have to ask the locals where they roost and pay them if they offer to show you the location. Other Parrots abound in the GP.I never saw a Bird of Paradise in GP but I was not there looking for them. The flora changes quite a bit if you go north but
a little ways,a few miles. Kikori and environs south is typically a Nipa Palm/
Mangrove forest tidal delta. Hire a boat/guide and you have real access to
Gulf Province. Always look where you step a Papuan Black/Taipan would probabley have already left but Death Adders do not move for anything.
Lodging can be had at the Delta Lodge. Don't know the rates but I bet
they could find the right person/s to facilitate your pursuit.

iraqbabbler 30-08-2008 11:25 AM

Thanks Fred, but I was hoping to see more exotic species, eg Birds of Paradise ..etc. ;-)

I heard that there's a lodge in Kikori which has some excellent lowland rainforest nearby and that it's great for birding, but I haven't been able to find out its name or contact details :nuts: .. Hopefully someone can illuminate us on that

fred gibson 31-08-2008 12:18 PM

kikori followup

Hi Iraqbabbler, It's called The Delta Lodge and there is a phone number out there somewhere. I totally understand what you want to get out of a PNG
Birding effort. I was working in fisheries so my attention was directed towards
the river and that in itself was an adventure with exotics included. I would only suggest you try to do a Kikori run during the "Dry" season. If you try the "Wet" season you run the chance of being rained in for multiple days and it does
typically rain 20ft plus per annum. Yes,lowland rainforest is the name.
Looking out my back porch I saw a vista of lowland rainforest that I knew
went for several hundred miles,uninterupted. And YES, there HAS TO BE
a Bird of Paradise in there somewhere,probabley several different types/species.
It is a "Birders" paradise. If possible I would very much enjoy hearing about your
trip,please feel free to drop a line. Fred

massadaddy 22-05-2010 05:07 PM

The Curtain Brothers who had the contact to build the runway at Port Moresby pulled up the wartime Marsden Matting and sold it to Esso who laid it down at Kikori. John Senior has a Cessna single there. He left the magnetos on in the hope anyone tinkering with his aeroplane got his head chopped off. Interesting place. I must have been there 50 times.

djoe0635 13-10-2016 05:52 PM

This place has so much which i am sure has to be explored and on a level things in this manner would be one of those activities which are always growing for all the parts that a traveler would carry in terms of finding the best.